Thursday, November 10, 2011

button snowflake

Today I'm excited to share my first Christmas craft of the season with you!

A few years ago I got this picture in a gift exchange at a Christmas party
Not bad, but not really my style. I don't have any other old style Santas and (at the risk of being banished from blogland) I confess that I'm not really a big fan of the whole distressed look the frame has. And you can't see it in the picture, but there is also a spot in Santa's beard where it looks like something got stuck to the canvas and took a chunk of it off. I have hung this picture for Christmas the last few years because I had it, but this year I decided to change it to make it fit my style a little more.

First I painted the frame Magnolia White. It took 6 coats to cover the green but I think it was worth the effort.

Then I cut some sparkly red felt to fit the opening and glued it in
(Sorry about the dark pictures. By the time I finished painting the frame it was dark outside.)

And finished it off with a snowflake made out of white buttons 
I love the more modern and clean look of the white frame, and as you will see as I post more of my Christmas decorations, I am a huge sucker for red with white and/or silver snowflakes. For just $3.20 ($.75 for the white paint, $1 for 2 pieces of felt, and $1.45 for a package of white buttons) I turned a picture I didn't love into something I am excited to hang on my wall this Christmas!

Linked to

Entered in

10 comments:

Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon Designs said...

How clever and cute!!!

Coley said...

Much better than the original!!

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

I'd love for you to come join in my Simply Christmas link party at http://shabbyartboutique.blogspot.com

Maggie Lamarre said...

luv the redo,
Would luv for my readers to discover your blog, will you please join our weekly party at
http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/11/thanksgiving-showcase-tutorial-with.html
have a great crafting week!
Maggie
http://passionatelyartistic.com

Junk in their Trunk said...

I am going to have to make this. It turned out so cute. Thanks for linking this up to our party.
{Junk in their Trunk}
www.junkintheirtrunk.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

This is such a simple, yet beautiful project!!

Thanks so much for linking it up at my 26-Day Christmas Craft Marathon Linky Party!!

~Lisa
Lisa's Craft Blog

Estelle Grace Tudor said...

Very beautiful! Red and white is my favourite colour combo for Christmas! x
www.twinklestutustwirls.blogspot.com

karah said...

What a great way to update an outdated picture. Beautiful!
Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

Andrea @Oasis Accents said...

I love this! Shared it to Facebook. Would love for you to join our Sunday's Best Party =)

http://www.oasisaccents.com/sundays-best-party/

Gen @ Color Me Domestic said...

I really like how this is not necessarily a Christmas decoration, but a winter decoration! Then you can have it up longer, which is a win win situation when you make something beautiful. I'm really digging all the button decorations, and this one is no exception. Great work.